Saturday, October 13, 2012

Why volunteer?

Many times, I have asked this question to myself, not knowing the answer, not even having a clue. The more younger I was, the more clueless I was. Then suddenly when I finished college; graduate school; I became more inquisitive, and my time too allowed me to get involved in community service. At this phase of life, I find that getting involved in community service and volunteering, for good social causes that increase common happiness, gives us immense contentment.

Not that I had no idea what entails to be involved in community service when I was in early twenties; but as I started to ponder more about why is it so important and self gratifying to volunteer, I realized a few things. First, I realized that each and every success of ours can be linked back to special help or service from someone who made an effort from heart and out of kindness. Such a kindness we receive cannot be contained, it wants to flow out of us, so it becomes necessary for us to pass it on.

However, we cannot pass kindness by sitting idle, as it will not be very effective. Just like an action is much more effective than just an intention, volunteering is a very effective means to pass on kindness. In addition, if we want kindness to return back to us, we must pass it on, we cannot keep it suffocated within us. Therefore, we must volunteer and serve the community if we want to improve the quality of our lives.

Lastly, it is very easy to find people who want to work for money or material. But, it is difficult to find volunteers? Why? Because, it is easy to make a buck but it is a much more difficult to volunteer. Genuine volunteers cannot be paid, not because they are worthless, but because what they offer is priceless. Priceless because when kindness flows and touches lives, everything becomes beautiful, the case is not same or sometimes even exactly opposite with money or material.

My conclusion from all this is, those who can, do. Those who can do more, volunteer.

No comments:

Post a Comment