Saturday, November 15, 2014

ऊ जितेर गई या हारेर गई / Did she leave winning or losing?

If not considering the old classics and few modern Nepali songs from Tara Devi, Nati Kaji, Narayan Gopal, Arun Thapa, Deepak Kharel, Deep Shrestha, Bhakta Raj Acharya, Prem Dhoj Pradan, or lets say a few musicians, it is hard to find Nepali songs with very meaningful and well written lyrics. Of course there are exceptions but I think this is true in general. Same in the Gajal front.

I recently came across this beautiful Gajal sang by Raj Sigdel and written by Pursottam Dhungel and composed by Chandi Prasad Kafle. However, I did not like the visualization of this Gajal. The visualization is not of my taste, so much so that it distracts me. However, the lyrics, vocal and composition get five stars from me. Enjoy the Gajal with lyrics, and my imperfect attempt at translating it into English.

ऊ जितेर गई या हारेर गई Did she leave winning or losing?
नतिजा आफैंतिर पारेर गई She did acquire the result in her favor
हिजो निम्ता दिई बस्न दिलमा Yesterday, she invited me to her heart
आज काँडे तारले बारेर गई Today she fenced it with a thorn rope
प्रितको एउटा फूल थियो बगैँचामा There was a flower of love in garden
आकाश बाट असिना झारेर गई She left showering hail rain over it
बाँच्दै त थिएँ घायलै भए पनि Although wounded, I was still living
मुस्कानको छुरा रोपी मारेर गई She left me dead stabbing with a dagger of her smile
रोपेर प्रेम को फूल यो मेरो मनमा She planted a flower of love in my mind and made it grow
हुर्काई अन्तै सारेर गई She left transplanting it somewhere else
पर्खिएँ मनको ढोका उघारी I waited her with an open door to my heart
उ भोली भन्दै टारेर गई She put me off saying 'Tomorrow!'
ऊ जितेर गई या हारेर गई Did she leave winning or losing?
नतिजा आफैंतिर पारेर गई She did acquire the result in her favor

No comments:

Post a Comment